Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Bring the Heat...Just kidding


Here is a pic I took for insurance purposes of the handguns I have. Just thought you all might like to see them. I spent part of last night making sure I had all the serial numbers listed and that everything was in working order. They are as follows: Top Row- Smith and Wesson Sigma 9mm, Heritage Rough Rider .22 and .22 Magnum. Second Row- Glock 30 .45 ACP, Colt Official Police .38 Special. Third Row- Glock 17 9mm, Ruger Blackhawk .357 Magnum. Bottom Row- FEG PA-63 9mm Makarov (9x18).
The Glock 30 is my daily carry. I can't recommend it for everyone, but if you can handle a subcompact in .45 ACP, well, no one ever said a .45 wasn't enough. My only complaints are the difficulty in stuffing 10 rounds in the magazine (you basically have to buy it dinner and a drink to convince it to get in there) and the fact that a lot of the powder in the rounds does not burn in the barrel, so you end up with dirty hands when you shoot. Recoil is manageable, but I would suggest getting a sandpaper decal grip, it gets a little slippery when your hands sweat.
Best shooter in the bunch? A surprise, it is the 1950's Colt Official Police. Dead on every time. You can make a smiley face on the targets at the range.
Meanest recoil? Not the .45 Glock, not even the .357 Blackhawk. That mean little FEG PA-63! It has an aluminum alloy frame and it is ultra light. It feels like getting hit in the web of your hand with a Hungarian hammer after about 3 shots. Nice and concealable though. I have some questions on the stopping power of the 9x18 95 grain round, but the whole point of a gun that small is to use it as a last resort and take your shots up close. I wish Cor-Bon made those solid copper rounds in 9mm Mak, though.
Most difficult to shoot? The S&W Sigma. It has a double action only trigger with a loooooong pull. It took some time to figure out where to aim when you started pulling the trigger if you wanted to hit center mass. I started aiming about 6 inches above the targets head at 25 feet, with practice and time, I can now aim at the center of the neck and hit center mass on the chest every time. If this was your daily carry it would be possible to be consistent and pretty deadly with it, but it takes practice. I purchased to have a low cost, easy to maintain 9mm to use at the range.
I am no where near where I want to be with the collection, but I think this is a good start.

No comments: