Sunday, February 15, 2009

Mmmmmm, Chili Mac...


Recently, I decided to augment our Survival and Camping pantry with some vacuum sealed meals. Mountain House is sold at our local REI. Wal-Mart and Academy stores, so I thought I would give it a try. To be honest, I did not expect much from a pre-packaged meal. As it turned out, I was pleasantly surprised. I purchased a 20 ounce pack of MH Chili Mac and an 8 ounce pack of MH Sweet Corn for my son and I to try. Following the directions on the pack, I boiled some water and measured the correct amount into each pouch, sealed the pouch, sloshed the water around and waited to listed amount of time (5-6 minutes). Upon opening the Chili Mac, the smell was very noticeable. It smelled like Chili Mac! I portioned it up on plates, then checked the corn. The corn looked good, but did not have much smell. I added a little salt and some margarine for flavor and portioned it out as well. Both items were firm, not mushy, although the kidney beans in the Chili Mac could have used some more water, a few of them were still crunchy, but edible. The taste was excellent. The Chili Mac needed no additional spices. The corn was firm and juicy, almost like frozen corn. Both my son and I were full at the end of the meal. If you are looking for an easy to make camping food, or something you can store long term or carry in a Bug Out Bag, I can whole heartedly recommend Mountain House entrees and side dishes!

No comments: